Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Davis Campbell on Venus in Fur

Davis Campbell - Unafraid to huck


Why do you love this movie? The mounting tension and excitement throughout, the baiting and denial of desire. It’s stripped down nature and the intertwining conventions of playwriting and cinema. The exploration of the pleasures of being dominated and humiliated. How many times have you seen it? Once 
Do you remember where/how you first saw it? Took it out of the library 
Favorite scene in the movie? The whole movie is essentially one long, drawn out scene. 
Nominate this movie for a made-up Academy Award. Best Screenplay by a Fugitive of the State of California 
Is this peak Polanski? Hard to judge when an artist is still living and working 
Highlights? I didn’t mind watching with subtitles, this is a movie that sounds better in French. The strength of the movie is the script, so the conversation kept me excited.
Can you be friends with someone who doesn’t like this movie? I might like you more if you feel a kinship with the movie, but I won’t like you any less if you don’t.
Can you separate the artist from the art? As a general rule for myself, yes, I don’t see the two as being reflections of each other. There is a lot more I could expand upon this, and if you don’t agree that’s okay and let’s talk about it.
What did you think of Tarantino’s take on Sharon Tate? Rob, I know you enjoyed “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood”, but I’m not sure you watched my movie. Something about the lack of questions about my movie 
Artwork by Holly Farrell

Did you know Tarantino initially offered the role of Sharon Tate to Jennifer Lawrence but Sharon Tate’s sister said she wasn’t pretty enough? 
Then I guess Tarantino and Sister Tate both agree that Margot Robbie is hot. Emmanuelle Seigner was so sensual in my movie, and I just found out she is actually Polanski’s wife, which must’ve made for quite an intimate shooting set.
Do you think Jennifer Lawrence is pretty? I don’t know who that is 
Do you know who skates to the song Venus in Furs? Tom Penny, or did Arto just dream it? 
Have you ever been in a play? Romeo and Juliet, I spoke the opening lines 
What’s another movie you love with just two actors? I can’t think of one, another reason I was drawn to the movie 
If you could ask Roman Polanski one question, and he promised he’d be honest, would it be A.) about the murders, B.) about the rape, or C.) other______? C.) The Holocaust 

Is there something inherent to the art of moviemaking, and directing in particular, that makes it especially difficult for people to retire from? I just read this for the first time last night, “Painting is the best way I’ve found to get along with myself.” Creative pursuits can offer a way to exist in the world, and walking away from them isn’t always an option 
Any artistic goals for your 80s/90s? I take in a lot, but I don’t have much output. I hope to have found a way to share more of what I want to say by then.


Do you think Roman Polanski wishes he was young again? Everyone wishes to stay young a little longer, a young person couldn't make this film though 

No comments: